A few days ago Gisele had her 4th febrile convulsion. I thought she had grown out of them, since it had been almost 2 years since her last one. Her febrile convulsions had crippled me emotionally as a mother. I was fearful of everything, especially of losing her or her brother. When she later developed strabismus, it was enough to push me over the edge. I was seriously depressed and often spent parts of the day in tears, afraid that I would outlive my children.
And then most of last year was spent in prayer and meditation. Often times late into the night. I asked to be strong again - full of faith and trust in the universe. I asked for help to change my perspective. I wanted perfection, and I was so busy with following that dream, that I could not enjoy what was right in front of me. Two wonderfully healthy delicious children that I got to spend all my days with. An amazing life partner that was always there holding my hand and whispering that it would all be okay.
I went to therapy and talked about my anxieties and fears. I talked to Graham, to my mom and brothers, to my family and friends, to my neighbours, to strangers. I read books that inspired me and I continued praying and meditating. I knew I still needed a big emotional boost so I went back home to Canada to let my mom, family and friends take care of me. And they did.
Now I feel strong. I continue to pray and meditate, but more importantly be grateful for all our blessings. I know I am healthy and I know that our children are healthy. Last week when Gisele had her convulsion, I knew she would be okay. We would all be okay. I would not fall apart and I would be a good mother. And I am.

I never been pushed to the edge of realisation of vulnerability as a mother like that. I will always admire you pulling the right resources around you to gain your new strength. Now that you've been tested again and all is well, your beliefs are reinforced and we all learn from Gisele and her experience.
ReplyDelete